1. Global GSF-4023 Steak KnivesThese Japanese high-carbon stainless-steel blades feature steep edges with what we imagine is the sharpness of a samurai sword.
Global GSF-4023 Steak Knives, $220 for a set of 4 at cutleryandmore.com; 800/650-9866
2. Wüsthof Classic Ikon Steak KnivesLike many fine Western models, Germany's Wüsthof Classic Ikon Steak Knives have full-tang blades, meaning they extend into the handle for durability and sturdiness; their razor-thin blades make extra-clean cuts.
Wüsthof Classic Ikon Steak Knives, $290 for a set of 4 at swissknifeshop.com; 866/438-7417
3. Shun Shima Steak KnivesNamed after Tokyo's famed Shima Steakhouse, these elegant knives feature acutely angled edges for maximum sharpness and inlaid ebony handles contoured for balance and comfort.
Shun Shima Steak Knives, $200 for a set of 4 at williams-sonoma.com; 877/812-6235
4. Chicago Cutlery Steak House KnivesWe love the heft and classic looks of these knives' walnut handles and wide serrated blades.
Chicago Cutlery Steak House Knives, $27 for a set of 4 at knife-depot.com; 800/248-1987
5. Laguiole Steak KnivesInspired by 19th-century French shepherds' folding blades, Laguiole knives come with handles in an array of colors to brighten our table.
Laguiole Steak Knives, $59 for a set of 4 at westelm.com; 888/922-4119
6. J.A. Henckels International Classic Forged Steak KnivesFine, thin blades end in sharp points that we found excellent for skewering.
J.A. Henckels International Classic Forged Steak Knives, $100 for a set of 4 at zwillingonline.com; 212/563-5990