EnlargeCredit: Courtesy Zeitgeist Films
1. Mid-August Lunch(Italy, 2008) This cinema verité gem, set in mid-summer Rome, follows a middle-aged slacker called upon to feed and entertain four elderly ladies. Now in U.S. theaters.
2. The Fish Fall in Love(Iran, 2006) In this elegy to post-revolutionary Iran, a freed prisoner returns to his house, only to find that his former lover has opened a restaurant inside it. On DVD.
3. Kitchen Stories (Sweden, 2003) This spoof of Sweden's social experiments in the 1950s depicts a researcher studying the kitchen habits of Norwegian men. Instead of data, he finds friendship over coffee and herring. On DVD.
4. Dinner Rush(USA, 2001) A winning twist on mob-movie conventions: gangland murder, gorgeous food, and Danny Aiello as a beleaguered New York restaurateur and bookie. On DVD.
5. The Great Chef: Peking Restaurant(South Korea, 1999) The inexperienced Yang takes over a shuttered restaurant and revives its famous noodle dish; a cinematic love letter to Korean-Chinese cooking. On DVD.