1 finely chopped onion, divided
4 tablespoons butter
1 pound ground veal and pork mixture
4 oz. boiled ham, chopped
½ cup grated Parmesan
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons milk
1 duck, about 3 pounds
½ pound caul fat
⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 sprig of rosemary, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
¾ cup red wine (Tenute Marchese Antinori)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. For the stuffing, sauté half of the chopped onion in a bit of the butter, then blend with the ground meat, boiled ham, Parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg yolks, and milk to make a soft, compact mixture.
2. Bone the duck, fill with the stuffing, and wrap up firmly in the caul fat.
3. Sauté the remaining onion in a large skillet with the olive oil, butter, and rosemary. Add the duck and sear on all sides.
4. Whisk the tomato paste together with the red wine and pour into skillet. Continue to simmer, adding meat broth as necessary, until the duck is cooked through.
5. Cut into moderately thick slices, garnish with a few braised shallots and fresh rosemary, if desired, and serve.
Wine recommendation: Tignanello Toscana IGT