4.5 pounds veal silverside
6 thick slices of Tuscan bread, without crust
6 sage leaves
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
1 handful parsley
2 tablespoons Parmesan
½ clove garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 egg yolks
4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
⅓ cup water
⅓ cup white wine
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
¾ cup meat stock
1 handful dried mushrooms (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Rub the meat with salt.
2. In a food processor, chop the bread and mix with the herbs, Parmesan, garlic, salt, and pepper, then blend in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the egg yolks.
3. Using your hands, firmly coat the veal on all sides with this mixture and place the meat, along with the remaining oil, butter, water, wine, and balsamic vinegar, in a large roasting pan.
4. Roast for about 2 hours 15 minutes in the preheated oven. If necessary, augment the liquid with a bit of meat stock, and if desired, add a handful of dried, chopped mushrooms sautéed in a bit of butter.
5. When the meat is done, transfer it to a serving platter, rapidly boil down the sauce, cut the veal into thin slices, and serve with the sauce.
Wine recommendation: Tignanello Toscana IGT
Tip: Artichokes sautéed in butter with a bit of garlic pairs very well with this dish.