Beets Two Ways
1 1⁄4 cups orange juice
1 cup vegetable stock
1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
1⁄4 cup honey
2 tbsp. champagne vinegar
Freshly ground white pepper
1 medium red beet, peeled and julienned
1 medium yellow beet, peeled and julienned
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. thinly sliced flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 tsp. finely chopped chives
1⁄4 cup chopped pistachios
1. Put baby beets, 1 cup of the orange juice, stock, red wine vinegar, half the honey, and salt to taste into a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until tender, 40–45 minutes. Cool, strain, and reserve cooking liquid.
2. In a bowl, whisk together champagne vinegar, 1⁄2 cup cooking liquid, remaining orange juice and honey, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Peel and thinly slice baby beets; add to bowl. Let marinate for 2 hours.
3. Soak julienned beets in separate bowls of ice water for 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, simmer remaining cooking liquid in a small pot over medium heat to make a glaze, about 5 minutes. Set glaze aside.
5. To serve, divide baby beets between 4 plates, using a slotted spoon. Whisk together oil, parsley, chives, 2 tbsp. beet marinade, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Drain julienned beets; pat dry; toss with dressing. Put dressed beets beside baby beets and drizzle with glaze; sprinkle with pistachios.