Bourbon Smash Jelly Shots
This Bourbon Smash jelly shot, developed for SAVEUR by Michelle Palm of the blog Jelly Shot Test Kitchen, is a mix of fresh raspberries and mint, with just a touch of bourbon.
Enlarge Image Credit: Michelle Palm1 6-oz. package fresh
additional for garnish
3 large sprigs fresh mint
(about 25 mint leaves)
2/3 cup bourbon
2/3 cup cranberry juice cocktail
1/3 cup limeade concentrate, thawed
and strained to remove solids
1/3 cup water
3 envelopes Knox gelatin
2 tsp. agave nectar or simple syrup,
Recommended pan: molds or 1-lb. loaf pan (approximately 8" x 4")
Implements: cocktail muddler, bowls, fine mesh strainer
1. Muddle raspberries and mint leaves in small bowl. Stir in bourbon and set aside.
2. Pour cranberry juice, limeade concentrate, and water into a small saucepan and sprinkle with the gelatin. Allow the gelatin to soak for a minute or two. Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Strain the raspberry–bourbon mixture, making sure to press out all the liquid (you should have about a cup of liquid). Stir into the gelatin mixture. Taste; add the agave nectar/simple syrup if desired.
4. Pour mixture into pan or molds and refrigerate until fully set, several hours or overnight.
5. To serve, cut into desired shapes or unmold. Garnish with slivers of fresh raspberry and mint, if you like.
MAKES ABOUT 15 JELLY SHOTS