1 chicken, about 3.5 pounds, cut into 6 or more pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
2 cups dry red wine
¼ cup red-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Chopped fresh parsley
1. Rinse chicken, dry thoroughly with paper towels, and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the olive oil in a wide, deep pan and brown the chicken, a few pieces at a time, on all sides. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings, stir in the garlic, rosemary, and sage, and sauté about 3 min.
3. Deglaze with the wine and vinegar and return the chicken to the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer for 30-35 min. until the chicken is tender and the meat at the bone is no longer pink.
4. Remove the chicken from the pan and keep warm.
5. In a small bowl, whisk about ¼ cup of the cooking liquid together with the flour, salt, and pepper until smooth, then whisk into liquid in pan. Continue cooking over medium-high heat until the sauce is slightly thickened.
6. Return chicken to pan and reheat. Before serving, spoon sauce over the top and sprinkle with a bit of parsley.
Wine recommendation: Badia a Passignano Chianti Classico DOCG Riserva