Mushroom Ravioli with Pesto
SERVES 6 – 8
To roll and form these Ligurian-style ravioli, see "Ravioli How-To".
1⁄4 cup pine nuts (about 1 1⁄4 oz.)
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1⁄2 tbsp. olive oil
Kosher salt, to taste , plus 1 tsp.
2 cups lightly packed basil leaves
2 1⁄4 cups grated parmigiano-reggiano
3 cups flour, plus more as needed
3 eggs (2 whole, 1 beaten)
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1⁄4 lbs. cremini mushrooms, trimmed
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1⁄4 cup dry white wine
3 tbsp. dried bread crumbs
3 tbsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
1. To make the pesto: Coarsely purée pine nuts, half the garlic, 1 tbsp. oil, and salt to taste in a food processor. Scrape down sides of processor with a rubber spatula. Add basil; purée until smooth. With motor running, pour in 3 tbsp. water. Add 2 cups parmigiano-reggiano; pulse until combined. Transfer pesto to a bowl, cover surface with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator to chill.
2. To make the dough: Mound the flour on a work surface; sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt. Make a wide, deep well in center of flour, leaving some flour at the well's bottom. Pour remaining oil into well and crack the whole eggs into it. Use a fork to gently mix the eggs and oil together, then gradually incorporate surrounding flour a little at a time into the well. As egg mixture absorbs flour, slowly add 10 tbsp. water until the dough becomes wet and sticky. Generously sprinkle the dough and work surface with additional flour. Knead the dough, adding flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until it's elastic and smooth, about 10 minutes. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and set aside to let rest for 1 hour.
3. To make the filling: Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add remaining garlic; cook for 15 seconds. Stir in mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Add wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl; let cool. Once cooled, finely chop, return to bowl, and stir in the beaten egg, bread crumbs, parsley, and remaining parmigiano-reggiano. Set aside.
4. Divide the dough in half. Working with 1 dough half at a time (keep the other half on the counter covered with a towel), roll it with a rolling pin, stretching it occasionally with your hands, into an 18"-wide circle about 1⁄16" thick on a well-floured work surface, rotating it occasionally. To assemble the ravioli, follow Ravioli How-To.
5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add ravioli; cook until al dente, 8–10 minutes. Drain and transfer ravioli to a large bowl. Toss ravioli with reserved pesto and serve.