Rusty's Basted Beef Biscuits
MAKES 45 4'' BONES
B. J. Carpenter, of St. Paul, Minnesota, made these treats one Christmas for Rusty, her shepherd-husky mix, who had been very good that year.
2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 cups beef stock
1 7-gram package active dry yeast
1. Preheat oven to 275°. Mix together flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, cornmeal, and dry milk in a large bowl.
2. Heat 1/2 cup stock in a small saucepan over low heat until warm to the touch. Remove from heat and sprinkle in yeast. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes, then stir in all but 2 tbsp. remaining stock.
3. Mix yeast mixture into dry ingredients, then turn out dough onto a floured surface, and knead for about 5 minutes. Dough will be very stiff.
4. Divide dough into four portions, then roll out each portion about 1/4'' thick on a floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters (bone or cat shapes are popular); place on ungreased cookie sheets.
5. Beat together egg and reserved stock. Brush tops of cookies with egg wash, then bake for 25 minutes. Turn cookies, brush with egg wash, and bake another 25 minutes. Turn off oven, brush again with egg wash, and leave in oven overnight to harden.