For the seared Foie Gras
4 2oz pieces foie gras (1/4 inches thick)
1. In moderately hot cast iron skillet, sear both sides until golden brown.
2. Remove from pan and keep warm. Save the renderings, 2tsp foie oil and the skillet (to be used to glaze strawberries).
For the red wine glazed strawberries
1/2 Cup Light corn syrup
½ pint Louisiana Strawberries (tops removed and quartered)
1 bottle Pinot Noir
1. Bring pinot noir to a simmer over medium high heat and reduce until 1/8 starting volume. Add the corn syrup and reduce by ¼. Set aside.
2. Reheat the skillet used to sear the foie gras and sauté the strawberries slightly add the pinot noir syrup and cook until berries are soft and coated. Remove from heat
For the beignets
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 tablespoons strawberries, diced small
4 tablespoons pecans, coarsely ground
1 large egg
½ cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
2oz Foie gras, diced small
Vegetable oil, for frying
1. In a home-style deep fryer, such as a fry daddy, heat oil to 325°F.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine Foie gras, sugar, egg, and milk. Mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, blend together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Slowly pour Foie gras mixture into dry ingredients, whisking constantly. Add pecans and strawberries. Blend just until ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.
4. Using a ½ oz. cookie dough scoop, scoop up portions of batter and place in oil. Cook 2-3 minutes, flipping often, until golden brown.
For the spiced sugarcane syrup
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup strong brewed chicory coffee
½ cup sugar cane syrup
1. Place a small saucepan over medium heat. Pour in the coffee, bring to a simmer and reduce to 2 oz volume.
2. Add the cane syrup and black pepper. Continue cooking until 4 oz volume. Keep warm.
Foie Gras infused café au lait
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 teaspoon granulated sugar
¼ cup whipping cream
¼ cup whole milk
3/4 cup strong brewed chicory coffee (hot)
3/4 oz foie gras (pureed or chopped finely)
1. In small saucepan warm the milk, sugar, and ½ oz of the foie gras. Add the coffee and mix using immersion blender until foie gras and sugar are dissolved.
2. Pour through a fine mesh strainer into small pitcher or another vesselwith a spout (a measuring cup will work). Fill shot glasses 90% .
3. Whip in a small bowl ¼ oz foie gras, whipping cream and vanilla extract to soft peaks-use this to top off the shot glasses.
¾ cup pecan halves
1 cup water
3 cups granulated sugar
1. In a medium sauce pot, bring water and sugar to a simmer. Add the pecans, return to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes.
2. Strain and reserve the pecans. Fry the pecans at 350°F for 4-5 minutes (stir with a long spoon so they brown evenly).
3. Remove from oil and let any excess oil drain off. Spread pecans evenly on a cookie sheet to cool.