⅓ cup cumin seeds
6 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, cut in half length wise
4 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
3 bunches cilantro
1 ½ cups extra virgin olive oil
3 pounds skirt steak, fat trimmed
Avocado corn relish (recipe follows)
Refried black beans, for serving
Warm flour tortillas, for serving
1. Lightly toast cumin seeds in a dry medium skillet over low heat until aroma is released, about 5 min. Transfer seeds to a blender.
2. Add jalapeños, garlic, salt, pepper, and lime juice, puree until finely ground. Then add cilantro and olive oil, puree until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to marinade steak.
3. Cut steak into 6 equal size pieces. Using hands, generously cover meat with spicy marinade then roll into cylinders. Arrange rolls of steak in a shallow pan and pour in remaining marinade. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours (preferably overnight).
4. Before cooking, remove meat from refrigerator; unroll steaks and place on a large platter. Heat the grill or broiler to very hot.
5. Cook steaks just until seared on both sides, 3 to 4 min. per side for medium rare. Transfer steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 5 min. Then slice across the grain forming diagonal strips. Serve immediately, top with avocado corn relish, refried black beans, and wrap in warm flour tortillas.
Yields: 6 cups
To make the avocado corn relish:
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
1 teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 California avocados, peeled and pit removed
1 large red bell pepper, cored and seeded
4 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
4 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
½ cup red wine vinegar
1. Heat ½ cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the corn with salt and pepper then sauté for about 5 min. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
2. Cut the avocados, bell pepper, and roasted poblanos into ¼-inch dice. Add to the sautéed corn along with the scallions, red wine vinegar, and remaining ¼ cup of olive oil. Mix together, and let sit 20 to 30 min. to blend the flavors. Serve at room temperature.