A look at what we're reading, cooking, and clicking this week.
July 23, 2012
• Our mouths are watering over these delicate egg-tempera paintings of biscuits, lolly ices and other decidedly British treats. Joel Penkman
• Artist Scott Gundersen makes realistic portraits by collaging wine corks of various hues, documenting the process in a fascinating video. This is Colossal
• Inspired by 18th-century still life paintings, a photographer left a pear and three carrots to rot, resulting in some moody, baroque photos. Three to One
• Taking her inspiration from literary rather than art classics, photographer Dinah Fried makes meals from famous novels, sets them up and photographs them from above. Grub Street New York
• Designer Erin Jang's series of food sketches are stylized and beautifully graphic, featuring "food eaten and enjoyed" like dragonfruit, Taiwanese shaved ice, and strecci from New York's Sullivan Street Bakery. Food Sketches
• Finally, in the realm of video art, the people behind Made Nice produced a mesmerizing video made up exclusively of overhead shots of the service, plating, and food prep at Eleven Madison Park and The NoMad: