Apple Pie-Ice Cream Pie
This clever dessert fills a spicy gingersnap pie crust with an apple pie-inspired ice cream.
Yield: serves 8-10
For the Crust
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely ground gingersnap cookie crumbs, plus more to garnish
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
For the Apple Pie-Ice Cream and Caramel Drizzle
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 6 firm Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. whisky, rum, or bandy
- Make the crust: Heat oven to 350°. Combine gingersnap crumbs, flour, sugar, butter, and salt in a bowl and stir until evenly combined. Press into the bottom and side of a 9" deep-dish pie plate, and bake until lightly browned at the edges, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Make the apples: Heat butter in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add cinnamon, salt, and apples, and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are softened slightly, about 8 minutes. Add 1⁄4 cup sugar and syrup, and cook until glazed with syrup and tender, about 4 minutes more. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Prepare Vanilla Ice Cream according to instructions. Once churned, stir apples into ice cream, and then transfer ice cream to pie crust, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle with more gingersnap crumbs, and freeze until set, at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel sauce: Heat 1 1⁄2 cups sugar in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook, swirling pan, until it turns into liquid caramel. Remove from heat and add cream and alcohol; once bubbling subsides, return pan to heat, and stir until smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature. Serve pie with caramel sauce drizzled over each slice.