These sweetly spiced preserved apples, known as apples from the “dacha,” or summer home, can be used as a filling for pies and blinis.
- 6-8 tart apples (such as granny smith), peeled and cored
- 1 large pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- Quarter apples, then thinly slice into rings or small pieces. Mix together apples, cinnamon, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Dissolve sugar in 2 cups water in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Add apples and any juice and boil for 5 minutes.
- Spoon hot apples into a hot, sterilized quart canning jar, pressing down with a sterilized spoon to pack firmly. Pour hot syrup over apples. Place lid on top of jar and screw on band. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Remove jar from pot and allow to cool completely. Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.