Arugula and Pistachio Pesto Quiche
Peppery arugula pesto adds brightness in this creamy, rich quiche.
Yield: serves 6
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 cup packed baby arugula, plus more for garnish
- 3⁄4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup shelled pistachios, plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- Grape tomatoes, for garnish (optional)
- Place flour, salt, and butter in a bowl; using your fingers, rub together until pea-size crumbles form. Add 5 tbsp. ice-cold water; stir until dough forms. Transfer to a lightly floured surface; knead dough until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour. Purée arugula, ⅓ cup Parmesan, oil, pistachios, zest, garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor until smooth. Transfer pesto to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Roll dough into a 13" circle; transfer to a 10" springform pan with a removable bottom, pressing dough into bottom and sides. Place on a baking sheet; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°. Prick dough with a fork; cover with parchment paper and fill with dried beans. Bake until slightly firm, about 20 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake until crust is light brown, about 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°. Whisk remaining Parmesan with milk, cream, eggs, salt, and pepper; pour filling into crust. Drizzle pesto over filling in a swirl pattern. Bake until filling is set, 30-45 minutes. Let quiche cool briefly and remove from pan. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with more pistachios, plus tomatoes and arugula, if you like.