SAVEUR contributor Lucretia Bingham brought this recipe back from a visit to the Bahamian village she lived in as a child. Grouper is abundant—and thus popular—in the Bahamas, but any firm-fleshed fish will work in this recipe.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, peeled and cut into sixths
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, cored, and cut into strips
- 3⁄4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 5 tbsp. tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb. skinless grouper filet, cut into 3" pieces
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- 2-3 pinches cayenne
- Preheat oven to 350°. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers, and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring often, until onions are very soft, about 15 minutes. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put grouper into a medium baking dish. Season with lemon pepper, cayenne, and salt to taste. Add sauce and bake until fish is cooked through, 20–25 minutes.