These classic baked beans are a barbecue side-dish staple. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2011 BBQ issue.
- 10 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought barbecue sauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup leftover chopped beef brisket or pulled pork
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 tbsp. dry mustard
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cloves
- 4 (15-oz.) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-oz.) can whole, peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat oven to 325°. Heat bacon in an 8-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring, until its fat renders, about 6 minutes. Add onion, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add sauce, sugar, stock, meat, molasses, mustard, salt, cloves, beans, tomatoes, and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover pot and place in oven; bake until thick and fragrant, about 2 hours. Cool 10 minutes.