Christer Larsson of Christer's restaurant in New York shared the recipe for this Christmas classic with us.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Swedish vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. allspice berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 5 beets
- 2 filets pickled herring, diced
- 3 potatoes, peeled, boiled, and diced
- 1 sweet pickle, diced
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- Freshly ground white pepper.
Combine sugar, vinegar, salt, allspice berries, bay leaf, onions, garlic, and 2 cups water in a pot. Bring to a boil, then cool.
Boil beets until tender, peel, place in a large jar, and cover with vinegar mixture. Refrigerate for 3 days.
Dice pickled beets and place in a bowl. Add pickled herring, potatoes, pickles, and apples. Season with pickling liquid and pepper.