Christer Larsson of Christer’s restaurant in New York shared the recipe for this Christmas classic with us.
Beet and Herring Salad
Christer Larsson of Christer's restaurant in New York shared the recipe for this Christmas classic with us.
Yield: serves 6
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Swedish vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. allspice berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 5 beets
- 2 filets pickled herring, diced
- 3 potatoes, peeled, boiled, and diced
- 1 sweet pickle, diced
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- Freshly ground white pepper.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, salt, allspice berries, bay leaf, onions, garlic, and 2 cups water in a pot. Bring to a boil, then cool.
- Boil beets until tender, peel, place in a large jar, and cover with vinegar mixture. Refrigerate for 3 days.
- Dice pickled beets and place in a bowl. Add pickled herring, potatoes, pickles, and apples. Season with pickling liquid and pepper.