Blue-Ribbon Pecan Pie
This pecan pie’s toffee-like interior and beautiful bronze top layer of halved pecans won Rubyane Surritte first place in the pie contest at Oklahoma’s Drummond Ranch. This recipe first appeared in our August/September 2013 Heartland issue.
- Flour, for dusting
- 1⁄2 recipe Buttery Pie Dough
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups roughly chopped pecans, plus 1/2 cup halves
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12″ round. Fit into a 9″ pie plate. Trim edges and crimp; chill 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°. Whisk corn syrup, sugars, butter, vanilla, salt, and eggs in a bowl; fold in chopped pecans. Distribute filling evenly over dough; arrange pecan halves decoratively around the inside edge of the pie crust. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is set, about 1 hour. Let cool completely before serving.