The leaves of cavolo nero (also known as Tuscan kale, Lacinato kale, or Dinosaur kale) cook slowly into a luscious heap when braised whole.
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 12 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 anchovy filets, finely chopped
- 1 qt. Chicken Stock
- 4 lb. cavolo nero, trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a wide pot over medium-high heat. Add fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, garlic, and anchovies; cook until fragrant, 1–2 minutes.
Add stock; bring to a boil. Add cavolo nero and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until leaves are somewhat wilted, 4–5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, until very tender, 40–45 minutes more.