Fresh bananas layered with sweetened condensed milk and cream cheese comprise this sumptuous Brazilian dessert. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2012 issue along with Neide Rigo’s story Passage to the Amazon.
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 ripe bananas, cut crosswise into 2″ pieces, then lengthwise into ¼”-thick slices
- 12 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350°. Boil milks and cinnamon stick in 12″ nonstick skillet over medium heat until reduced by half, about 30 minutes; discard cinnamon. Spread ⅓ reduced milk over bottom of an 8″ x 8″ baking dish; top with half the bananas and half the cream cheese. Repeat layering, ending with reduced milk; sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes.