Sombremesa de Banana com Queijo (Banana and Cheese Pudding)
Fresh bananas layered with sweetened condensed milk and cream cheese comprise this sumptuous Brazilian dessert. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2012 issue along with Neide Rigo’s story Passage to the Amazon.
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 ripe bananas, cut crosswise into 2″ pieces, then lengthwise into ¼”-thick slices
- 12 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350°. Boil milks and cinnamon stick in 12″ nonstick skillet over medium heat until reduced by half, about 30 minutes; discard cinnamon. Spread ⅓ reduced milk over bottom of an 8″ x 8″ baking dish; top with half the bananas and half the cream cheese. Repeat layering, ending with reduced milk; sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes.