Baião-de-Dois (Rice and Black-Eyed Peas)
Bacon, chorizo, and annatto flavor this northern Brazilian take on rice and beans.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. bacon, finely chopped
- 5 oz. chorizo, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground annatto seed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight, drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed
- Heat oil in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and chorizo; cook until fat is rendered, about 12 minutes. Add onion; cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add garlic; cook until golden brown, about 9 minutes. Add annatto, salt, and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peas and 5 ½ cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, covered partially, until peas are tender, about 30 minutes. Add rice, reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.