Brown Rice Fritters
Similar to arancini (which are usually made with risotto), these rice fritters have a creamy center and a slightly crisp exterior.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 cups cooked short-grain brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1⁄2 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp. butter, plus more for garnish
- Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Combine rice, Parmigiano-Reggiano, oregano, salt, pepper, and egg. Form rice mixture into eight 2" round cakes. Transfer cakes to a sheet tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow them to firm up.
- Put flour on a plate; dredge cakes in flour. Heat oil and 3 tbsp. of the butter in a 10" skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, fry cakes, turning once, until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Garnish each cake with a thin slice of softened butter and sprinkle with finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves.