Bruce and Eric Bromberg, the authors of Bromberg Bros. Blue Ribbon Cookbook (Clarkson Potter, 2010), invented this recipe for crisp-tender, quick-cooked collards when they ran out of spinach at their restaurant Blue Ribbon and substituted collards instead.
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 bunch collard greens, cleaned, tough stems removed, leaves cut into 2″ pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Working in two batches, heat 2 tbsp. butter in a 12″ skillet over high heat and cook, swirling the pan often, until butter begins to bubble and brown, about 3 minutes. Add half the collard greens and let sit undisturbed for 1 minute.
- Stir greens and continue to cook until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and transfer collards to a serving dish; repeat with remaining butter and collard greens. Serve with lemon wedges.