Bubble and Squeak
This hearty fried vegetable hash, a perfect use for leftovers, includes roasted Brussels sprouts, carrots, and parsnips.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 8 oz. Brussels sprouts, halved
- 6 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 medium parsnips, chopped
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 lb. russet potatoes, cubed
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped chives
- Heat oven to 400°. Place Brussels sprouts, carrots, and parsnips on a foil-lined baking sheet; toss with 4 tbsp. oil and salt and pepper. Bake until tender, about 25 minutes; let cool.
- Put potatoes in a 4-qt. saucepan; cover with salted water. Bring to a boil; cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes; set aside. Return pan to heat with 2 tbsp. butter; add onion, and cook until soft, 8–10 minutes. Remove from heat; add potatoes, cream, chives, and salt and pepper; mash until smooth, then stir in roasted vegetables.
- Heat remaining oil and butter in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetable mixture; cook, flipping once, until browned, 18–20 minutes.