Calamari with Potatoes and Peas
Saveur kitchen assistant Alex Saggiomo shared his family’s recipe for this delicious dish, served for the Feast of the Seven Fishes. This recipe first appeared in our December 2011 issue along with the special feature Italian America.
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 1 rib celery, minced
- 3 tbsp. red wine
- 2 (28-oz.) cans whole peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 lb. cleaned calamari, bodies cut into 1/4″-wide rings
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oregano, garlic, onion, carrot, and celery; cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add wine; cook until evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, and 2 cups water; boil. Reduce heat to low; cook until slightly reduced, about 30 minutes. Stir in potatoes; cook until potatoes begin to break down in sauce, about 30 minutes. Stir in calamari and peas; cook until calamari is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.