These chewy orange slices and their vividly spiced syrup are essential ingredients of our Pumpkin-Walnut Cake.
- 2 Tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- 10 whole allspice berries
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 seedless oranges (such as valencias), thinly sliced
- Place peppercorns and allspice in a piece of cheesecloth, tie into a bundle, then place in a medium saucepan with sugar and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium and add oranges. To keep slices submerged, place the lid of a smaller saucepan in pan over orange slices. Simmer until rinds become very soft and syrup begins to foam, about 1 1⁄2 hours.
- Remove orange slices from syrup and set aside to cool on wax paper. Discard spices and reserve syrup. (Orange slices can be stored in syrup in refrigerator for up to 1 month.)