This salad comes from the namesake Seattle restaurant.
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 slices country white bread, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb. slab bacon, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup grated pecorino
- 1 cup mixed red and yellow grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup torn mint leaves
- 3 tbsp. oregano leaves
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 2 heads romaine, cored and cut crosswise into 1" strips
Heat oven to 325°. Toss butter, oregano, thyme, bread, and garlic together in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and bake, stirring frequently, until croutons are golden, about 15 minutes. Set croutons aside to let cool.
Whisk together egg and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking constantly to make a smooth vinaigrette. Season with pepper; set aside.
In a 10" skillet, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until water evaporates, 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook until bacon crisps, about 5 minutes; let cool. Toss bacon, reserved croutons, vinaigrette, and remaining ingredients in a large salad bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Continue to Next Story