Hush puppies are ubiquitous throughout North Carolina, but they’re not the little round ones you might be familiar with. Here, the cornmeal fritters come in thick, short strips that are closer to the size and shape of your index finger. A menu staple at barbecue restaurants, they make an excellent side dish, appetizer, or snack. Be sure to chop the onion very finely so that it cooks all the way through.
Featured in “East Vs. West: North Carolina Pulled Pork,” by Dana Bowen.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, plus more for serving
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp. hot sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion, very finely chopped
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Continue to Next Story