Packed with red, sour cherries, this classic dessert sauce is typically flambeed tableside both for presentation and to ensure the sauce is piping hot when poured over vanilla ice cream.
- 1 lb. fresh or thawed, frozen sour cherries, pitted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and reserved
- 1⁄4 cup kirsch or brandy
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Heat cherries, sugar, juice, and vanilla bean with seeds in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves in the cherries’ juices, about 4 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add kirsch; return to heat and ignite with a match. Using a spoon, baste cherries with liqueur and juices until flame dies out. Spoon immediately over vanilla ice cream in bowls.