The recipe for this hearty soup comes from Babushka’s Kitchen.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken noodle soup recipe with photo from Babushka's Kitchen in northeast Ohio.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 2 cups flour, sifted, plus more
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 eggs, plus 1 yolk
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp. dried sage
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 2″ pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 (3 1/2-lb.) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Make the noodles: Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well in center; add eggs, yolk, and 1 tbsp. water. Using a fork, mix flour into eggs to form a dough. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, 5–6 minutes. Divide dough into 4 portions and cover with plastic wrap; set aside.
- In a large pot, combine stock, sage, thyme, fennel, peppercorns, garlic, celery, carrots, onions, bay leaf, chicken, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to medium-low. Simmer, skimming off fat, for 1 hour.
- Put chicken on a plate. Strain soup through a fine strainer into a large pot; place celery and carrots in a bowl. Discard remaining solids. Remove and discard chicken skin and bones. Chop chicken, celery, and carrots into bite-size pieces; transfer to soup.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Working with one dough portion at a time, lightly flour and roll out to 1⁄16″ thickness. Cut dough into ¼”-wide noodles; transfer to floured baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Shake excess flour off noodles; boil until tender, 8–10 minutes. Drain noodles; transfer to soup. Stir in parsley; season with salt and pepper.