This classic Singaporean sauce is both spicy and tangy.
Yield: makes 1/2 cup
- 12 red serrano chiles, trimmed
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. peeled, chopped ginger
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Blanch chiles in boiling water in a medium pan for 1 minute. Purée chiles with shallots, ginger, and garlic with a mortar and pestle or in a food processor.
- Stir in 2 tbsp. water, lime juice, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Set aside for 1 hour before serving. Sauce will keep in refrigerator for 2 weeks.