Chile-Miso Chicken Wings
Executive chef Pui Wing Hui’s sweet red chile and miso sauce bathes these fried chicken wings served at the Mansion at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. This recipe first appeared in our April 2012 issue along with Beth Kracklauer’s story A Table Set For High Rollers.
- ½ cups soy sauce
- ½ cups sugar
- ¼ cups cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 4 tsp. Chinese rice wine
- 1 tbsp. Asian chile-garlic sauce (available at Asian Food Grocer)
- 1 tsp. white miso
- 3 cups canola oil, for frying
- 2 lb. chicken wings or drumettes
- 8 dried chiles de arbol
- Make the sauce: Whisk together soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, wine, chile-garlic sauce, and miso in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a 14″ flat-bottom wok or skillet over high heat. Working in batches, add chicken, and fry, turning gently, until golden brown and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain; pour off all but 1 tbsp. oil. Return wok to medium-high heat, and add sauce and chiles; cook, stirring, until reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to wok, and cook, tossing to coat in sauce, until sauce glazes chicken, about 2 minutes.