In the border towns of El Paso, Texas, and Juarez, Mexico, only true white cheddar will do for this classic dip.
- 6 fresh anaheim chiles
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. grated white cheddar
- 1 Tbsp. sour cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Char chiles over a flame or under a broiler, turning to blacken all over. Place in a paper bag, close, and steam 15 minutes. Rub off skin and remove stems. Slice open, scrape out veins and seeds, and coarsely chop.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat, add onions and garlic, and cook until translucent, about 20 minutes. Add chiles and cook another 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add cheddar, and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.