Chocolate-Almond Cookies (Strazzate)
These traditional crumbly cookies from the Basilicata region of Italy are flavored with Strega, an Italian herbal liqueur.
Yield: makes About 34 Cookies
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, for greasing
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups finely ground, plus 2 tbsp. roughly chopped, almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup Strega or Galliano liqueur
- 1⁄2 cup coffee, at room temperature
- Heat oven to 325°. Grease 2 parchment-lined baking sheets with butter and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together baking powder and 1 tbsp. lukewarm water until dissolved, 20 seconds.
- Combine ground and chopped almonds, flour, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, oil, and salt in a large bowl. With a wooden spoon, vigorously stir in the baking powder mixture, liqueur, and coffee to form a wet dough.
- Divide the dough into 1-oz. portions. Using your hands, roll dough portions into balls and transfer to prepared baking sheets spaced about 1-inch apart. Bake until set, about 30 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and let cool to firm before serving.