The recipe for these almond and cinnamon Christmas cookies comes from the bakery Rischart in Munich.
Cinnamon and Kirsch Star Cookies (Zimtsterne)
The recipe for these Christmas cookies comes from the bakery Rischart in Munich.
Yield: makes ABOUT 3 DOZEN
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 2 1⁄2 cups blanched whole almonds
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling cookies
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl to stiff peaks. Whisk in confectioners’ sugar to make glaze; pour off 2⁄3 cup and reserve. Add cinnamon and kirsch to remaining glaze; set aside. Finely grind almonds in a food processor; add granulated sugar and finely grind. Transfer to bowl with spiced glaze; mix into dough.
- Transfer dough to a surface sprinkled heavily with sugar; cover with parchment paper. Roll dough until 1⁄4” thick. Uncover and spread reserved glaze over dough; let sit until glaze sets, about 30 minutes.
- Place rum in a bowl, and using a 1 3⁄4” star cutter, dip cutter in rum and cut out a cookie; repeat and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spaced 2″ apart. Let dry for 3 hours. Heat oven to 450°. Bake cookies until glaze just sets but does not brown, 3–4 minutes.