Cinnamon and Kirsch Star Cookies (Zimtsterne)
The recipe for these Christmas cookies comes from the bakery Rischart in Munich.
Yield: makes ABOUT 3 DOZEN
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 2 1⁄2 cups blanched whole almonds
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling cookies
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl to stiff peaks. Whisk in confectioners' sugar to make glaze; pour off 2⁄3 cup and reserve. Add cinnamon and kirsch to remaining glaze; set aside. Finely grind almonds in a food processor; add granulated sugar and finely grind. Transfer to bowl with spiced glaze; mix into dough.
- Transfer dough to a surface sprinkled heavily with sugar; cover with parchment paper. Roll dough until 1⁄4" thick. Uncover and spread reserved glaze over dough; let sit until glaze sets, about 30 minutes.
- Place rum in a bowl, and using a 1 3⁄4" star cutter, dip cutter in rum and cut out a cookie; repeat and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spaced 2" apart. Let dry for 3 hours. Heat oven to 450°. Bake cookies until glaze just sets but does not brown, 3–4 minutes.