Colts Neck Toddy Cocktail
This warming drink gets a bittersweet accent from Cardamaro, a cardoon-flavored digestif. This recipe first appeared in our Jan/Feb 2013 issue along with our article Flaming Cocktails.
- 1 oz. apple brandy, such as Laird’s available at Drink Up NY
- 1⁄2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 oz. maple syrup
- 1⁄2 oz. Cardamaro
- 1⁄8 oz. decanter bitters, preferably Bitter Truth Jerry Tomas’ Own, available at Chelsea Wine Vault
- 1 slice lemon
- 5 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 oz. barrel-strength bourbon, preferrably George T. Stagg, available at Twenty Twenty Wine Merchants
- In a tempered-glass mug, stir together brandy, juice, syrup, Cardamaro, bitters, and 3 oz. hot water. Stud lemon slice with cloves and add to mug. Float bourbon on top; ignite.