Mixologist Jeffrey Morgenthaler uses sweet-tart apricot preserves in this brandy-based paean to the Vieux Carre, a signature drink at New Orleans’ Hotel Monteleone. This recipe first appeared in the iPad edition of our Jan/Feb 2013 issue along with Jeffrey Morgenthaler’s article Preserves in Cocktails.
- 3⁄4 oz. rye whiskey
- 3⁄4 oz. pear brandy, preferably Clear Creek
- 3⁄4 oz. sweet vermouth, preferably Punt e Mes
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 tsp. Angostura bitters
- Lemon peel, for garnish
- Combine whiskey, brandy, Punt e Mes, preserves, and bitters in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake and strain into a chilled old fashioned glass with ice; garnish with lemon peel.