There is no shortage of crab in Alaska in July and August. We even found it tucked amid layers of sliced potatoes in this sweet but rich summer classic.
- 1⁄2 lb. lump crabmeat
- 3 large Idaho potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. sour cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 whole scallions, finely chopped
- Few sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Pick any bits of shell out of crabmeat and set aside. Cut potatoes into thirds, place in a medium saucepan, cover with salted water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and, when cool enough to handle, peel and cut into ¼”-thick slices.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, arrange several slices of potato on a platter and season with salt and pepper. Smooth some dressing on top, sprinkle with scallions and parsley, then add a layer of crab. Repeat, making several layers and ending with crab on top.