Creamy Coconut Caramel Corn
A smooth sauce made from sweetened condensed milk finds a textural counterpoint in nutty toasted coconut in this riff on classic caramel corn.
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened and condensed milk
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 6 cups basic popcorn
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pour the condensed milk into a very large, microwave-safe bowl. (The milk will rise and fall as the microwave cycles; in a small bowl, it will spill over.) Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 4 minutes. Stir, and return the bowl to the microwave for 12 minutes at 30% power, stirring occasionally. When finished, the condensed milk should be a light golden color with flecks of dark caramelized sugars.
- While the milk is caramelizing, toast the coconut: cook the coconut in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until it darkens to golden brown.
- Toss the popcorn with the caramelized condensed milk and toasted coconut, and spread in a single layer on parchment-covered baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, rotating trays halfway through and stirring occasionally.