This cucumber drink recipe featured at Brooklyn’s Pies n Thighs uses fresh ginger for an added kick, with a hint of lime juice to round out the flavors.
For the Simple Syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
For the Drink
- 5 medium cucumbers, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 1⁄2” pieces fresh ginger, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- Ice to serve
- Make the simple syrup: Combine the sugar and water in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until all of the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool completely before use. Set aside 4 tbsp. Remaining simple syrup can keep refrigerated for up to weeks.
- Make the agua fresca: fill a blender or food processor with the chopped cucumbers, water, and the fresh ginger. Blend or process on high, repeating until all of the cucumber has been puréed. Pour the mixture into a strainer layered with cheesecloth. Strain out and discard all of the solids. Stir in 4 tbsp. of the simple syrup and the fresh lime juice. Serve over ice.