This zesty slaw comes from Kansas-based photographer James Roper, who tenderizes the thinly sliced cucumber with kosher salt. Three types of peppers complement the slightly pickled cucumbers to make the perfect late summer salad. It's a light and refreshing accompaniment for any barbecue or a tangy topping for grilled meat and seafood.
Featured in: "Salad Social."
What You Will Need
- 1 large cucumber, split lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 habanero chile, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 oz. feta, cut into 1/2" pieces (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped basil
Balance out those meaty grilled dishes with the perfect side dishes for your next barbecue »