David Lebovitz’s Mocha Sherbet
This chocolate and espresso delight from David Lebovitz is a rich fudgy combination of favorite flavors that is surprisingly light and refreshing.
- 2 1⁄4 cups (560 ml) strongly brewed coffee or espresso
- 3⁄4 cup (150 g) sugar
- 6 tbsp. (50 g) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3⁄4 cup (180 ml) whole milk
- Whisk together the coffee, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and allow it to boil for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Perfect Pairing: To make a Mocha Freeze, for each serving put 2 scoops of Mocha Sherbet (4 ounces, 115 g) in a blender along with 1/2 cup (125 ml) very strongly brewed coffee or espresso, 11/2 tablespoons sugar, and 3 ice cubes. Blend until almost smooth. Pour into a glass and top with Whipped Cream.
Reprinted with permission from The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments by David Lebovitz, copyright (C) 2007. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House.