Florentine-Style Baked Beans
The Tuscan passion for white beans is reflected in tasty dishes like this one.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 1 lb. dried zolfini or cannellini beans
- 5 oz. prosciutto, cut into short, thick strips
- ¼ cups fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 canned Italian plum tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed Sprig fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put beans in an earthenware casserole, cover with cold water, and set aside to soak at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain, and add cold water to just cover beans.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Add prosciutto, oil, tomatoes, garlic, and sage to beans, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and bake until beans have absorbed all the liquid and are tender, about 2 hours.