This recipe is based on one from La Buvette des Bains restaurant in Geneva, Switzerland.
Fondue au Crémant (Fondue with Sparkling Wine)
This Swiss recipe for fondue with sparkling wine is based on one from La Buvette des Bains restaurant in Geneva, Switzerland.
Yield: serves 8
- 2 1⁄4 cups sparkling white wine
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
- 1 lb. Gruyère, grated
- 1 lb. Vacherin Fribourgeois or Appenzeller, grated
- 2 tbsp. cognac or French brandy
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Day-old country-style bread, cubed
- Whisk together 2 tbsp sparkling wine and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside. Rub garlic cloves over the interior of a 5-qt. pot and drop garlic into pot. Add remaining sparkling wine; bring to a boil and whisk in cornstarch mixture; discard garlic. Reduce heat to low; add cheeses in batches, stirring, until melted, 10 minutes. Stir together cognac and baking soda in a small bowl, add to pot, and stir until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and salt. Transfer to fondue pot, set over a lit Sterno cup, and serve with bread.