This recipe is based on one from La Buvette des Bains restaurant in Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2 1⁄4 cups sparkling white wine
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
- 1 lb. Gruyère, grated
- 1 lb. Vacherin Fribourgeois or Appenzeller, grated
- 2 tbsp. cognac or French brandy
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Day-old country-style bread, cubed
Whisk together 2 tbsp sparkling wine and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside. Rub garlic cloves over the interior of a 5-qt. pot and drop garlic into pot. Add remaining sparkling wine; bring to a boil and whisk in cornstarch mixture; discard garlic. Reduce heat to low; add cheeses in batches, stirring, until melted, 10 minutes. Stir together cognac and baking soda in a small bowl, add to pot, and stir until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and salt. Transfer to fondue pot, set over a lit Sterno cup, and serve with bread.