Foreigner Roll (Flang Roll)
This energy-boosting treat is a twist on the peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich—a perennial American favorite.
Yield: makes 4
- 3 cups thai sticky rice
- 3⁄4 cup crunchy peanut butter, softened
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 6 pieces each
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- Honey for dipping
- Put rice into a large bowl, cover with cold water, and gently swish around with your hand until water clouds; drain water. Repeat process until water runs clear. Cover rice with at least 2" cold water and let soak at room temperature for 3 hours. (Alternatively, soak in the refrigerator overnight.)
- Fill bottom of a medium steamer or wok with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, line steamer basket with a piece of cheesecloth large enough to hang over sides of basket by 1". Drain rice, then spread it out in an even layer in the lined basket. Cover rice completely with overhanging cheesecloth. Cover steamer basket and set over boiling water to let steam for 20 minutes, adding hot water to steamer or wok as necessary to maintain water level. Remove cover from steamer basket and sprinkle 1⁄2 cup warm water over cheesecloth-covered rice; return cover and continue to steam until rice is tender and cooked through, 15–18 minutes more. Unwrap rice and transfer to a sheet pan; cover with a damp towel. Let cool to room temperature.
- Cover a bamboo sushi-rolling mat tightly with plastic wrap. Moisten your fingertips with water and gently spread out one-quarter of the rice onto the mat into a 4" x 7" rectangle (don't pack the rice). Spread 3 tbsp. peanut butter evenly over rice, then place 3 pieces of banana along the side closest to you. Using the mat to help you, roll the rice over and around the bananas to form a tight sushi roll, pressing down firmly to seal the roll. Sprinkle roll with some sesame seeds and cut crosswise into 6 equal pieces. Repeat process with remaining rice, peanut butter, bananas, and sesame seeds. Divide rolls between 4 plates with honey on the side for dipping. Serve promptly.