French Silk Pie
This dreamy chocolate cream pie has a silky smooth whipped mousse filling and a buttery pecan crust.
Yield: serves 8
For the Crust
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
For the Filling and Topping
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Make the crust: Heat oven to 350°. Pulse butter, flour, and pecans in a food processor until ingredients form a dough. Press dough evenly into the bottom and sides of a 10" pie plate. Bake until crust is golden, 20–25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Make the filling: Using an electric hand mixer, beat butter and 1 1⁄3 cups sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 1–2 minutes after each egg. Add 2 tsp. vanilla and melted, cooled chocolate; beat until smooth. Pour filling into crust; refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- Make the topping: Using a hand mixer, beat cream until soft peaks form, 1–2 minutes. With the mixer on, slowly add 2 tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla; continue to beat until stiff peaks form, about 1 minute more. Spread whipped cream over pie and garnish with chocolate shavings.