Many varieties of banana are grown in Thailand, and the Thai often cook them, grilling, boiling, or frying the fruit. For this simple dish, small, firm bananas are preferred. The large supermarket banana doesn’t work well for this dish, because it tends to fall apart when heated.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 16 firm, ripe baby bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- To make batter, sift together flours with baking powder, turmeric, and sugar into a medium bowl. Stir in coconut and ½ cup water and mix well. (Batter should be the consistency of heavy cream; if it is too thick, add a little more water.)
- Heat about 3″ of oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Dip bananas in batter, shake off excess, and fry, a few at a time, until crisp and golden brown, 1–2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve warm.