Fried Onion Rings
These are the perfect accompaniment to any burger.
Yield: serves 4
- Peanut oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups prosecco or other sparkling wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large vidalia or other sweet onions, peeled
- Pour oil into a wide deep pot to a depth of 2" and heat over medium-high heat until temperature reaches 365º on a candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour and prosecco in a large bowl until batter is smooth; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice onions into 1"-thick rounds, then separate into rings.
- Working in small batches, coat onion rings in batter, then use a fork to transfer rings one at a time to hot oil, and deep-fry, turning often, until golden and crisp, 2-3 minutes per batch.
- Transfer onion rings with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Season to taste with salt.