Ariran Guisou (Chicken Stew)
This spicy-sweet chicken stew gets a touch of tartness from fresh lime. This recipe first appeared in our November 2012 issue along with Betsy Andrews’s story Cassava Nation.
- 2 lb. skinless chicken legs and thighs
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Combine chicken, juice, Worcestershire, sugar, mustard, pepper, turmeric, cumin, garlic, onion, and salt in large bowl; cover with plastic wrap, and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook, turning once, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; set aside. Add onions from marinade and bell pepper to skillet; cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add reserved chicken and stock; boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.